Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Introspection

Today is the anniversary of the death of one of my artist mentor/friends. It has been several years since his death but I still think of him often...



Today, as I was driving to the chiropractor enjoying the sunshine, I suddenly became hyper-aware of where I was. I was driving by a building where one of my friend's sculptures resides and had to take a peek over at it. Up to that point I hadn't remembered the anniversary and it wasn't until that moment when I realized the significance of the day and of that moment.

It's funny how we seem to subconsciously be aware of these significant anniversaries in our lives. You never know when or how you will be reminded but it always seems to be just what you needed for that day. My friend was kind, intelligent, talented, funny and inspiring. He also suffered from depression and finally lost his battle with it. It's quite ironic that he took his life on April Fools Day... he did have a twisted sense of humor. It's also a chilling reminder to me that a few words he spoke to me almost 20 years ago became my mantra during my own battle with depression. When he took his life, I was just starting to come out of the darkest period of my depression. It was a very jarring wake up call for me.

Today I am happy to say that my depression is gone and I so appreciate being HERE and having THIS experience we call life. Remembering my friend on a beautiful sunny day reminds me of how far I have come and how thankful I am for it. I so wish that he didn't have to go through what he went through but I know we all have our own paths to walk during our journey here. Mine is definitely better for knowing him...and I have a feeling that this won't be the last time that I am reminded of what he has given me.

1 comment:

Third_Chuck_from_the_sun said...

A wonderful post- I was thinking of him too. I played "Thick As A Brick" for him (and me) since he once mentioned that he used to listen to it while he worked on his art.