Monday, April 14, 2008

Nancy Stahl Workshop

Last week I had the privilege of attending a workshop with Nancy Stahl. For those that don't know, Nancy is a legend in the illustration world. She used to do air brushed illustrations and was one of the first illustrators to go digital. Ever since then, she has been pushing the bounds of digital illustration. Generally she doesn't do workshops so this was an incredible opportunity. During this workshop she focused on showing us how to use textures to make our digital work look more painterly and less digital and flat. I usually work in Photoshop or Illustrator but because Nancy prefers Corel Painter, I was able to try it for the first time during the workshop--very cool. She was very knowledgeable and helpful during the workshop so my head was swimming with information by the end of the day! She's a very down-to-earth, nice person and I feel grateful to have had this opportunity to meet her and attend her workshop.

For those that wish to see her work, here is a link to her website: Nancy Stahl

Here's an image of the signed poster I got after the event...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, wonderful work! What an amazing opportunity for you! I have never had the chance to try out digital, but I love the look and wish I could use it to step up the professionalism of my work. It really gives illustration such a polished look!!

Carolyn said...

Wow... i checked out her site and her work is AMAZING! Did you see the sax in the painterly style? Holy Frijoles!
I've never attempted digital... but i'm hoping to get a wacom and giving digital a try. i think my style is perfect for it.

marguerita.com@gmail.com said...

Hello,
Greetings from
http://www.thepoignantfrog.blogspot.com