Friday, June 6, 2008

Animal Alphabet Book

After much frustration & delay, Dave's & my Animal Alphabet Book is finally available! YEAY!!! We started this project a few years back when my cousin & his wife were expecting their first child. For the baby shower it was requested that instead of cards we get books for the baby. For no good reason (does there really need to be one?) I said to Dave, "Why don't we make a book instead of buying one?" He enthusiastically agreed and the Animal Alphabet Book was started.

Together we came up with the initial list & refined it choosing some of our favorite animals along with others which we found most interesting. We then dummied up a booklet to figure out the page layout as I was doing a traditional hand sewn binding. Dave then drew the animals & as I painted them he laid out the pages. Once all of the paintings were finished & everything was laid out we took the book to the printer to get color laser prints. After trimming all of the pages to size I was finally able to sew the binding & assemble the book.

That first alphabet book, called "My First Animal Alphabet Book", was probably no more than 3" to 4" square & very expensive to produce. Because of the advancement in technology, only now has it become financially feasible to make it available for sale. The new version is 7.5"x 7.5" with a saddle stitch binding & a new painting has been created for the cover called "Noah's Ark". I have also created a matching bookmark.

Here are a few pics...






The book is available through my Etsy Shop.
Marcyanna's Etsy Shop
If you are local, contact me through Etsy before purchasing & we can arrange for a pick up so you don't have to pay for shipping!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

love it!

Unknown said...

How fantastic!!! I love the G and A prints that we have, but that book is a treasure to be sure! Congratulations on getting it printed!

jeremy melton said...

This is so much fun! Great job!