Saturday, May 31, 2008

Paint by Numbers Exhibition @ DAM

Whew!!! Things have been nuts here! Haven't posted in awhile because things got crazier with work at CCS. Also, when I wasn't at CCS I was working on a piece for the Spirit of Paint by Numbers Exhibition at DAM(Detroit Artists Market). It's a benefit exhibition & auction for the Artists Market featuring over 100 artists. Each artist was given a paint by number blank of Marshall Fredericks' Spirit of Detroit sculpture. The paint by number blanks were created specifically for DAM by Paint by Number creator Dan Robbins. There were no rules or directions and the artists were encouraged to "let our imaginations run wild".

I'm not sure why but I decided to do mine in colored sand. After gluing the blank into a stiff substrate, I mixed almost every color from only a handful of different sand colors. I then painted the blank with glue, sprinkled with sand & then tapped off the excess. When I finished every color I then sealed it with an extra layer of glue on top.

Here are some images of the postcard & the process along with the final work...
It's called Gritty Detroit...







If you are interested in learning about Michigan artist Marshall Fredericks check out this article: link. It is a nice overview of his career.

The DAM exhibition opens June 6th and runs through July 12th, 2008. For more information check out DAM.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my you are ambitious!! But what a FABULOUS result! Way to go!