Monday, April 19, 2010

Sprouts!

I decided to start my garden early this year. Normally I am starting it in mid June because of my seasonal work schedule but this year I have some unexpected time off.


Daikon (10 days)

I decided to try to germinate my seeds first like my father-in-law does. Many of my seeds were a couple of years old at the very least so I wasn't sure if they were any good. Surprise!!! They were good!!!


Green Beans (1 week)

Diakon, leaf lettuce, green beans, beets, and carrots are on the list and I started with them. The daikon came up first and then the green beans. It took about a week. The beets and carrots have taken longer-- about two weeks and I am not sure if the carrots are going to survive because they are so tiny and delicate.


Leaf Lettuce (1 week)

I am going to try to keep some of the plants in containers to see if I can grow them indoors year round. There is a nice big south facing window in my dining room. It lets in lots of light and is the perfect place for plants.


Leaf Lettuce (10 days)

Tomatoes and bitter melon are also on the planting list. I bought one of those hanging upside-down containers to plant the bitter melon in. My father-in-law likes to grow bitter melon so we thought we would try it to see if it works. It will be the big experiment of the season.


Green Beans (10 days)

Lastly, I am going to try to grow brussel sprouts this year. They were on sale at the garden center so I bought a small 4-pack. I am thinking those will stay in the larger containers that I put them in.


Green Beans (2 weeks)

Maybe I'll add more later but right now it seems like a good selection.

No comments: