Sunday, September 28, 2008

My 50 Bucks Purchase!

Here is my 50 Bucks purchase...



Scott Northrup

A Father's Love (50 Bucks).
2008
Iron-on transfer, cotton, lipstick


It is actually a needlepoint done in three different colors of thread- black, blue and grey.

Text reads:

9/12/75
Francine,

You pig--there is lipstick on everything.

You owe me-
9.83 gas for you car
4.29 toilet paper
1.29 milk that you drank
3.89 pantyhose
1.69 Tab
9.01 dry cleaning
20.00 cash loan
------
$50.00

Your Father



I saw this piece and couldn't stop giggling the whole week of hanging the exhibition. It still makes me laugh every time I see it. Yes... that IS lipstick on the frame! A schmear of it! I got to meet Scott the week of hanging the exhibition and he is a really nice guy. I am glad I now own one of his pieces!

Here is a little info on Scott:

Scott Northrup
Adjunct Faculty/ College for Creative Studies

MA, The New School
BFA, College for Creative Studies

Scott Northrup is a native Detroiter who has divided his time between the Motor City and New York City since 1991. His varied body of work, including assemblages, photographs, films, and videos, has shown in galleries, museums, and alternative spaces and is in the collections of Wayne State University, The New School for Social Research, The Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and numerous private collectors. Scott received grant funding towards video projects with local youth support groups and has volunteered with Ground Hero Kids in New York City. He currently teaches courses in video art and digital production at CCS. His personal work continues to explore issues of identity, collective memory, and parasocial behavior.


If you want to see more of Scott's work, check out his blog here.

2 comments:

scott said...

Hey! I was googling something else and found your blog (and this post about my 50bucks piece)! So glad you own this. It's great when people get my POV.
I don't have my new site up yet, but since a bunch of people asked, I threw up a blog with images of the work I had in the Domestic Bliss show at Paint Creek:

http://mytapeimage.blogspot.com

It's temporary, but thought you might like to see some of my other stuff.

hope to see you around,
scott

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that. I was completely cracking up!! What an awesome buy!